Money: “By far the best book on investing ever written,” says Warren Buffett
18 Dec 2018
The Intelligent Investor, The Definitive Book on Value Investing, by Benjamin Graham. Revised Edition. Preface by Warren Buffett. Commentary by Jason Zweig. Harper 2003.
I agree with Warren Buffett (here). This is the best book on investing that I have ever read. One reason it is great is that it is so readable, with little or no jargon. However, it is not for the faint-hearted as it is 600 pages long. Still, one can pick and choose what you read. It doesn’t have to be read from front to back like a novel.
Here are some famous quotes from Warren Buffett to round out the festive season:
- “Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.”
- “Our favorite holding period is forever.”
- “Forecasts may tell you a great deal about the forecaster; they tell you nothing about the future.”
- "The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect. You need a temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against the crowd."
- “The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything.”
- “The most important investment you can make is in yourself.”
- "Only when you combine sound intellect with emotional discipline do you get rational behavior."
- “Honesty is a very expensive gift. Don’t expect it from cheap people.”
- "Without passion, you don’t have energy. Without energy, you have nothing."
- "Tell me who your heroes are, and I’ll tell you who you’ll turn out to be.”
We are taking a break from News and will be back in print the week beginning 21 January 2019.
Have a wonderful festive season.
Keep asking great questions …
Read more articles in this fortnight's edition of 'News Farmers Can Use':